Thursday, January 20, 2011

Courage



I am certain you have heard the saying, “if you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got.” So, if you want greater success, more prosperity, be used for greater service, or a “bigger life,” you need to be willing to go beyond your current limits and stretch out of your comfort zone.



I remember uttering a prayer, something to the effect: “God, use me for your purpose, I want to be of service.” Shortly thereafter I was asked to do some volunteer teaching - I was panic stricken! I thought, I am not ready for this…then the next thought dropped in, “be careful what you ask for.”



Courage is not the absence of fear, but the ability to move forward despite fear. The root of the word courage is from Old French corage, from cuer heart, so the word “courage” can be literally translated to mean “Rage of the Heart.” I think courage is a vital quality if one wants to live a heart-based life rather than a head-based one. Further confirmation of that fact comes from the definition of courage in the dictionary: Courage - The state or quality of mind or spirit that enables one to face danger, fear, or vicissitudes with self-possession, confidence, and resolution; bravery. In other words…you have to be out of your mind!



I remember feeling paralyzed and afraid to move forward when some big opportunities started presenting themselves (publishing my book, teaching classes, an offer to host my own radio show). My mind said NO WAY, my heart said LET'S PLAY! The heart will encourage you to move forward and grow while the mind will keep you playing small. The mind will tell you: better the devil you know than the angel you don’t. The mind wants to “understand” and have control, the heart wants to expand, grow and give and receive love. I have found when the desire for love overpowers the need for control is when life gets really interesting, fun and exciting!



Love takes courage (what if you get rejected?), service takes courage (what if you don’t have anything to offer?), stepping out more fully into the world takes courage (what if people laugh?). If you want to uplevel and expand in your life, you will have to go through glass ceilings and be confronted with experiences, situations, and people that will take you out of your comfort zone and into unchartered territory. But it is sort of like the Indiana Jones movie, when you take that step in faith, the bridge shows up to support you. And if you don’t have the courage and don’t take that leap of faith, you may never find out that you can fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.