Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day



Sunday was Fathers day, and several people asked if I was doing anything special for my dad. The answer was no. Dad and I have not spoken in the last couple of years, in fact we have never had much of a relationship at all. It used to make me very sad, and I know the lack of a loving father as a child impacted and influenced me significantly as an adult. I had a multitude of unhealthy, painful relationships and was consistently attracted to men that ignored me or were unavailable. When this painful pattern became abundantly clear, I finally decided to take responsibility for my own healing work. I document this process and support readers in their own healing journey in my book Manifesting Love From the Inside Out.

I believe we become emotional and spiritual adults when we learn love ourselves the way we wanted our parents to love us. Most of us (or perhaps ALL of us) have been raised by imperfect people with their own flaws, trauma and wounds. Profound healing for me occurred when I realized my REAL Father was not my biological father, but God.

So for this Fathers day, I did not get a tie or a card for dad, but I did write my real Father a Thank you letter. Cultivating this relationship has changed my life in profound, positive and powerful ways. I often invite clients to write a letter to God, and allow Spirit to respond in return. They are always surprised by the sense of unconditional love and wisdom they receive. So, if you are ready for more love, support and wisdom in your life, give this simple exercise a try.

I invite you to share any thoughts, revelations with me at
J2Center@gmail.com.

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 22, 2009

    This sounds like a great idea for my children.

    While they are aware of God being a Father to the Fatherless, I don't know that we have actually written God a letter. We'll make time today.

    Thanks for being vulnerable and transparent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Tammi. I can relate totally. Father's Day can be a pain. I, too should have spent the day honoring my real Father.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.