Monday, June 29, 2009

The Creative Process

When we make the decision to open more fully to our creativity, to heal, or to evolve we can be assured that life will change. The journey can be challenging but saying “YES” to these adventures will eventually lead us to our joy, our passion, our purpose and peace.

This weekend I hosted a Sacred Art workshop. One of my regular students, who is typically upbeat and talkative, was very quiet. When I asked her what was going, she told me she had a headache. I offered to massage her head and neck. It soon became apparent that she was holding some painful emotions down. I told her whatever it was she was feeling was fine and to let it come up. Her eyes immediately welled up with tears. She said the image of her goddess she was painting was all covered up with “stuff” and you couldn’t see her. I asked her if SHE felt covered up and unseen. A torrential downpour of tears ensued. The creative process “uncorked” some deep seated issues from her long ago past.

We went to another room and I handed her a pillow. I told her to let her feelings out. I then picked up a pillow and I started screaming into it, she soon joined me. I supported her in exorcizing her suppressed anger, sadness and angst. When she was complete, I asked her how her headache was…she said it was gone.

Erich Fromm, an internationally renowned social psychologist, psychoanalyst, humanistic philosopher was once quoted as saying: “Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties.” I know from experience this statement is absolutely true. Creating can be joyful and fulfilling, it can also be overwhelming, painful and confusing. However, if we are willing to keep walking through the process, not only can it relieve us of our physical ailments, it can cleanse our emotions, give clarity to our minds and ultimately sooth our souls.

Are you a “creator,” evolving, or on healing path? If so, write me and share your thoughts or experiences, I would love to hear from you!

Your browser may not support display of this image.

1 comment:

  1. Your creativity is like free-floating fireworks on the Fourth! Vibrant, loving and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.