Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day




Labor Day is often associated with the “Last Hoorah” of the summer, an extended weekend of barbeques, weekend travels and picnics. However, the true meaning of Labor Day was established 1882 and is about celebrating laborers around the nation. I categorize labor in one of three arenas: jobs, careers or life’s purpose. A job is a means to an end, making money to pay the bills. A career is a trade that one is proud of and feeds them on a deeper lever. A life’s purpose is the clear alignment with a soul’s mission.

Undoubtedly these are challenging economic times and many have been laid off from their careers, and perhaps “downgrading” to a job they feel is beneath them. Sometimes in life we feel like we are taking one step forward and two steps back. It can be SO POWERFUL to set the intention to do ALL that we do with the attitude of love and gratitude, knowing that each experience can bring us closer the ultimate destination of our life’s purpose.

I have always enjoyed working and been told repeatedly I have a great work ethic. I have waited tables and served cocktails, for me these were jobs. I have been a hairdresser and actress…these were my careers. Now as a Holistic Life Counselor, author, artist and sacred art facilitator I am living my life’s purpose. I feel very blessed to have found my soul’s purpose, but have enjoyed and been grateful for all of my jobs and careers. Each experience was a stepping stone supporting me in arriving at my current destination. When I worked as cocktail waitress, someone said to me: “What are you doing here? You are too good for this.” My response was, “This is what I do, not who I am and I am honored to be serving you.” To work is the opportunity to be of service to others. Mother Teresa has said: "We can do no great things; only small things with great love." And whether serving cocktails, doing someone’s hair or teaching them about the Mandala I have done it with the intention of love.

So no matter what your trade, or even if you are unemployed at this time, to live with the attitude of service, appreciation and loving, opens doors and make you a magnet for opportunity. So this Labor Day, let your attitude be of gratitude: for your work, your life and your lessons. To further energize your capacity to attract good, remember to extend this energy of gratitude to those around you who labor to bring you all of the comforts and blessings of your world. Happy Labor Day and I hope to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.