Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Go with the Flow


Einstein once said: "I think the most important question facing humanity is, 'Is the universe a friendly place'. This is the first and most basic question all people must answer for themselves. If we believe the Universe is safe, we can relax and enjoy the experience of being human, if not, struggle, resistance and pain will be inevitable. For many years I thought the world was unfair and scary. When I really contemplated Einstein’s question, I decided to be like a spiritual scientist, I opened my mind to the possibility of trusting and relaxing for a while. If things did not work out, I figured I could always go back to my old way of being. That was about 10 years ago, and I am happy to report, I never went back.

This does not mean life is always easy - it isn’t. But I do not put up as much of a fight when challenges come my way. I also do not resist my discomfort, I surrender, I allow (sometimes even consciously go into the resistance) and soon I find my out of it.

The other day as I was leaving my house, I spun out on my stiletto and found myself on the floor. As I lay there, angry at first, then curious as to why this had happened, I allowed myself to just sit there, tail bone bruised, elbow bleeding and my head throbbing. I consciously relaxed, surrendered and found my center. Because I did not judge myself or the incident, I believe I moved through the situation more quickly and with more ease. Even before I reestablished myself in an upright position, I found some things to be grateful for: “Thank God this did not happen in public!”

Choosing to trust the process of life has brought miracles and support like I could never have imagined. And just like a flowing river can have rocks and logs in it, life can still be bumpy and we can still encounter the occasional bruise. But it is such a relief to be curious, amused and know life is on our side rather than feel angry, judgmental, afraid and unsafe.

Do you feel loved and supported by life? Are you going with the flow? Comment me and share your thoughts!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.