Sunday, October 25, 2009

Celebrate Yourself!


I have heard it said, the most wonderful gift you can offer the world is to be authentically yourself. Most of us grew up hearing we need to behave in a particular way to get approval, we need to get good grades, we need to dress a certain way, be cool and do certain things to impress our friends and peers. So we learn to contort and conform in order to be loved and accepted.

It is easy to lose our authentic shape - it is easy to forget who we truly are. For many years I struggled with chronic fatigue. As I participated in a Masters program at the University of Santa Monica, entitled “Health, Consciousness and Healing” I got to the core emotional root of this debilitating health challenge. What I found was I wanted people to like me. I made myself smaller and smaller in order not to offend anyone. There is an analogy that one third of the world is going to love you, a third will be indifferent, and a third will hate you. I had a revelation! I needed to find my authentic shape and be who I really am so the right people will love me and the right people will not love me - so I decided to celebrate myself!

I started ask myself questions like: What do I really like? What makes me happy? What brings me joy? Well, I love high heels, I love the color purple, I love painting and creating and I love sparkly and blingy things. Shortly thereafter, my wardrobe changed, my makeup changed, and my attitude changed. I started feeling happier and I was lot more amused with life. I was finding my authentic shape. Perhaps there are some people who don’t like me…but I am so busy being happy, I don’t even notice it!

A big part of finding our authentic shape is getting in touch with our inner child. Often when we consider what brought us joy as a child, it is what will bring us joy as an adult. As a child I liked drawing, picking flowers and swinging, but as an adult I simply did not have time for that “silly stuff.” However, when we make time for the silly stuff, the stuff that brings us joy, the quality of our lives change, our vibration increases, and we begin to attract amazing opportunities and wonderful people into our lives.

Now rather than judge myself, my flaws, odd habits and idiosyncrasies I celebrate them. I see myself through the eyes of amusement, acceptance and love. As a spiritual seeker my goal is to learn to love myself no matter what. I no longer look to the opinion of others to determine my value. I look inward and upward to claim my value. I used to feel like a piece of a puzzle that was always trying to fit in. Now I am a piece of the puzzle who has found her shape and life fits in around me. Life works so much better from this perspective!

What can you do to celebrate yourself ? What brought you great joy as a child that you could take time to do for yourself now? Celebrate yourself! Do something to make yourself feel good! Then write to me and share your experiences, your learnings and your joy!

Do have a question? Is there a topic you would like me to address? Comment me or write to me at yes2miracles@aol.com I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.